If you are like all of us out there, then you have probably started and stopped an exercise program several times before. The stopping is the easy part, but it seems fairly difficult to get back into the swing of things after a long break from exercising. Use these tips to help you get back into a healthy exercise routine:
- Start slow – don’t try yo pick up where you left off, especially if it has been a while since your last workout. Start slow and work your way back into things.
- Make it fun – there are so many different ways to have fun while you exercise, so don’t make it seem like work. Find an activity you enjoy and start there.
- Try something new – with all the new fitness trends popping up around the globe, it should be easy to find something you haven’t tried before. Challenge your self, but make it fun while doing it.
- Make it convenient – if you try to fit your workout into a hectic day, chances are you won’t stay consistent with it. Find a time of day that works best for you and keep it consistent.
- Start now – there will never be the right time or the perfect day to begin an exercise program. You don’t have to wait until Monday to start the week off right. Just pick a day and go for it.
- Find a workout partner – having someone else to workout out with keeps you accountable for your workouts. It is harder to skip a workout when you know someone is there waiting for you.
- Read about health – if you engage yourself in health blogs, health books, or health news, you will find yourself wanting to change your life into a more healthy lifestyle. Plus you will probably pick up new ideas on how to train more effectively.
- Reward yourself – give yourself treats or gifts for accomplishing goals, or keeping on track. These will help you stay motivated on your quest back to good health.
Hopefully these tips will help you quickly get back into an exercise program again. There are so many healthy benefits to regular exercise so I highly suggest that you find a simple activity and start there. Try exercising one day a week, then add a second day, then another. Eventually you will built up your exercise program back into what it once was, if not better. Wishing you the best of luck!
Dr Spencer Charlet
Chiropractor in Mooresville, NC