Well, Christmas is over and it’s time to take down decorations. It is important to take the time to do this carefully to avoid injuries. Below we have given you 6 tips to removing your decorations safely.
When you are preparing to take down the tree it is important to use the same care you used putting it up. After you have all the decorations removed from the tree have someone assist you in taking it out of the tree stand. The best way to do this is to have one person kneel down while the other one holds the tree steady. This will allow the two of you to carry the tree with the weight of it being distributed evenly.
1. It is important that you dead lift all objects this will protect your back. If you squeeze your gluts, bend your knees, and bend through the hips these actions will allow you to pick up any item without worrying about possible back injury.
2. Ask for help! Two people are always better than one. If your actions require using a ladder or climbing be sure you have a spotter!
3. Use caution when removing lights or other decorations. Try to avoid pulling or tugging on cords, this can not only cause electrical problems with the wires but also cause you to lose your balance.
4. Never stretch to reach something, take the extra time to get down and move. That little time taken to move in order to reach an object can save you hours at the doctors, potential broken bones, and pulled muscles.
5. If you have several decorations to remove give yourself a break in between taking them down. Don’t overdo it, stay hydrated, and stretch periodically to avoid injury.
Follow these tips, to stay safe, and make de-decorating pain free!
Dr Spencer Charlet
Chiropractic in Mooresville, NC