A patient of mine sent this to me, so I had to share. Good luck, and bottoms up!
John Summerly is nutritionist, herbologist, and homeopathic practitioner. He is a leader in the natural health community and consults athletes, executives and most of all parents of children on the benefits of complementary therapies for health and prevention. Here is his smoothie recipe to help fight colds and flu.
Kiwi Orange Coconut Flu Busting Smoothie (makes 3 large servings):
- 1 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 and a half Cups Coconut Milk
- 3 Kiwis
- 4 Oranges
- 2 teaspoons of Ginger (raw root ginger)
- 1/4 (or 1/2 depending on tolerance) teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 2 Lemons
- 4 Tablespoons of liquid Coconut Oil (not hardened)
- 1 Tablespoon of Flax oil
- 4 Tablespoons of Honey (preferably Raw Manuka)
- Kiwi: Kiwi fruits are a powerhouse of vitamin C. They have 4-12 times more vitamin C than an orange, 3 times more than an apple and 60 times more than grapes. New Zealand researchers have shown that a sore throat were cut from 5.4 to 2 days as a result of eating kiwifruit.
- Oranges: Citrus fruits like oranges protect the body through their antioxidant properties and by strengthening the immune system and can even inhibit tumor growth and normalize tumor cells. That the power of an orange. Their zest (the shavings of their peel) are all high in vitamin C. They provide 98mg of vitamin C per cup.
- Coconut: Bruce Fife recommends coconut oil for reducing the length of a cold or flu and he has substantial results. He recommends that you take 4 tablespoons of coconut oil a day while you’ve got a cold. Coconut oil is one of the few foods that is anti-everything (i.e. bacterial, carcinogenic, fungal, parasitic, viral, etc). It even combats tooth decay.
- Ginger: Especially when combined, ginger and honey, are a well known and age-old herbal remedy for cold and flu symptoms
- Lemons: Lemons can be used as natural insecticide and household cleaners. They also clean YOU. They can reduce the severity of your cold and flu symptoms as well as being great for treating congestion and sore throats.
- Cayenne Pepper: Cayenne pepper turns DOWN the heat on inflammation due to its powerful anti-inflammatory compound capsaicin. The one little nutrient prevents the number one cause of death as well.
- Honey: The anti-bacterial properties of honey have been revered and so it is little wonder that it has been used for medicinal purposes all over the world. Daily consumption of honey is said to strengthen your immune system.
- Flax Oil: Flax seeds are high in natural oils that convert into hormone-like substances in the body to reduce inflammatory substances.
Dr Spencer Charlet
Chiropractor in Mooresville, NC